Saturday, April 30, 2011

Define normal. . .



I've had some internet issues the last few days so this post is going to be a simple one. I don't think my computer is back up to par just yet so I'm giving it a little slack and a little time to fully recover.


So. . .lets talk about books!


Most days, especially lately, I have been reading like there is no tomorrow. I read pretty much any sort of genre, but young adult fiction of any kind is my favorite. I'm also really picky about my books, they have to draw me in somehow either with the cover or the subject matter. I actually have always been really jealous of those people who can just pick up any book and suddenly be completely emersed. Well that's not me, so girly, pretty things rule in my world.


I never expected to enjoy Matched by Allie Condie as much as I did. The cover is beautiful and I read the summary a few times at Target, but always ended up not buying it. So when I saw the book at the library I thought why not give it a shot. And let me tell you, I read this in 2 nights and I am thrilled this book is being turned into a trilogy because I can't wait for more!


When I was probably in 3rd of 4th grade we read The Giver by Lois Lowry in class. This is the first thing I thought of when I started reading Matched. The society is very similar in many ways. Everything is basically decided for you in this world, what you're going to eat, where you're going to work, who you're going to marry, and when you're going to die. In The Giver the story focused mostly on job assignment and while that is touched on in Matched, it is mostly about potential marital "matches." 17 is the matching year for these kids and they can be matched at any time during that year depending on when their match also turns 17. Matches are made very scientifically through basically survival of the fittest. The person you are matched with is said to be the absolute perfect match for you.


The story follows Cassia, a girl who is matched to a boy she knows which is almost unheard of since the database is full of millions of 17 year olds. At the beginning she never questions the society or why the officials do what they do, but there is a glitch with her micro chip that reveals biographical information about her match and she sees another boys face, whom she also knows. Cassia starts realizing that maybe there are decisions to be made and she starts rebeling against the society and starts to use her own thoughts more than she ever did before.


I really enjoy dystopia and being able to imagine what it would be like to live in a world with these rules and what I would be assigned to do and in this case who I would be matched to. This book is really well written and uses some poems that make their way through the story. I love seeing really strong female characters who didn't really know they possessed this strength before, and that is definitely the description of Cassia. I kept trying to slow down not wanting it to end but at the same time I had to find out what happened next. The characters are really easy to get attached to and really relateable even though they live in this strict society. I would absolutely, 100% recommend this book to anyone looking for a fun read! I think this is one of those books that crosses lines and is easily enjoyable by almost anyone, no matter what your reading preferences. Well I guess as long as you enjoy futuristic type novels. . .


you'll like this if: you enjoyed The Giver growing up, The Uglies series by Scott Westerfield (also one of my favorites!), or The Hunger Games (which I have only heard, I still haven't read those books! I know I'm the only one who hasn't.)

1 comment:

  1. I was literally just about to say that you should read The Hunger Games! It's also a trilogy that you can finish super quickly! I've never heard of Matched but your summary sounds great! Definitely checking it out, thanks girl !

    ReplyDelete